Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Compliment

My sister-in-law, Hannah, just paid me a high compliment on the state of my kitchen. No, she didn't praise me for having such a clean microwave or wonder how the floor could be so crumb free with three toddlers eating over it twice a day. She said to me, "Your home looks so cozy and lived in!"


We did arts and crafts today. If you know me at all, you will understand what a statement this is. I'm not crafty and I'm kind of a perfectionist. But Lucy's enthusiasm made it all worth it. When I told her what we would be doing she kept dancing around the house exclaiming, "Oh my word!" And about halfway through the cutting and gluing and stickering, she sighed, "This is so fun!"


Instead of washing the breakfast dishes I did things like put Esther's too small clothes away and get out the next size; sort out about half of the pile of dresses she had to pass on to the new little girl cousin she will be getting in the spring; supervise the aforementioned craft time; work on the next Exodus newsletter; change diapers; take a nap...

My house may not be winning any awards for tidy kitchen of the year, but it is indeed being lived in. For a mom of three little ones, Hannah's compliment is high praise indeed.

3 comments:

  1. I always love coming into a home that is truly "lived in" ... makes me feel welcome and comfortable. It has a feeling of love and devotion to raising the ones that are important, our children, the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I cringe at the end of the day at the state of my house, at least it looks like a bunch of people live here.

    I'm like you in the arts and crafting but the kids sure love it and I love to hang up their creations.

    There will always be time for dishes (well like the next meal) but not always a time when they are little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where there are no oxen, the manger is clean, but abundant crops come by the strength of the ox. Prov. 14:4.... :-D

    Hooray for abundant "crops"!

    ReplyDelete