Friday, July 15, 2011

I Saw the Baby Today

Too bad it was only via ultrasound. Too bad he's so big all I could see was a round thing that the doctor said was his head, a round thing he said was his fat little belly, and a long white thing that was the bone in his leg. Ultrasounds make me think of 1 Corinthians 13:12:

For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 
Now I can only see my son dimly, but soon it will be face to face. Now I can only guess at what he will be like, but soon I will be getting to know him as I watch him grow.

But it will probably not be as soon as I would like. According to the expert, the cord and the placenta are doing great, there's still plenty of fluid, and the baby appears to be growing just fine. I am only 50% effaced and not really dilated at all. He said I am fine for another week. Not exactly what you want to hear when you are seven days past your due date.

So, anybody want to guess again on the date and time?? We only have a couple guesses for next week and in all likelihood it will be sometime then. I appreciate all your optimism, but seriously, I have never had a baby before six days late and this one will not be any different.

Dr. Ed said that hormones are the only thing that will cause dilation and that rest and relaxation are the only thing that will let them flow. Since everything's fine, there's no reason to induce so I'm planning on laying around and thinking as happy of thoughts as possible.

I bought myself a peach Jamba Juice smoothie on my way home.

I listened to the 10th Anniversary Les Miserables soundtrack at full blast as I drove down the freeway. ("Red, I feel my soul on fire! Black, my world if she's not there...)

When I got home I promptly arranged this:


So what if it's barely 70 degrees. The sun is shining and there's nothing like water to keep kids happy and when kids are happy, Mommy's happy.

"Thanks, Mom!"
So, bring on your new guesses, tell me if you have any labor-starting techniques I haven't already tried, and let me know of any fun parties happening. I'm going to see if I can get a tan on my legs and finish Strong Poison before this baby comes.

22 comments:

  1. Thursday the 21st at 9am. But I'll stick with 8lbs. 3oz. for the size. And we keep the water table set up all the time. It keeps the kids occupied for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.....sorry dear. :( I guess I'll re-guess Baby Boy Evans to arrive Monday night, 9:46pm, 7lbs. 4oz. Happy sunbathing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that Baby Boy Late Evans, because, of course, he needs 3 names! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tuesday the 19th at 3pm. 8lb. 1 oz. But for your sake I hope he shows up sooner!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No! Don't try anything -- nothing works and all of it only makes you more miserable. Some things help push you over the edge if you're almost there, but nothing takes you from 0 to labor. I know. I've tried. Everything. 3 out of 4 babies were born after "trying something," but that's because I finally got to the edge where I could be pushed anyway. All those same things didn't do anything before that. I just got too miserable to patiently wait and felt I had to do *something*.

    Just don't exhaust yourself walking a bunch! Do it enough to keep you upbeat, but don't wear yourself down. You'll need your energy.

    I was absolutely already worn out physically and emotionally before all my labors, and it's awful. Do your best to maintain a reserve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friday, 22nd at 1am. 8lb. 5oz. But hopefully for your sake, he'll come sooner! :)
    ~Susan~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mystie, that's pretty much how I feel about trying to start labor. I just like hearing people talk about them so I can say, "Already tried it. Doesn't work." The only exception would be that my sister in law went to an acupuncturist and went into labor less than 12 hours later. But then she had a really hard and fast induction-type labor with contractions one on top of the other so I'm not sure I'm desperate enough for that. Besides, it's expensive and I'm a cheapskate.

    So you like my rest and be happy approach? You know, it was your last labor story that got me though all the pre-labor I had with Esther. I had tons of contractions at night and they would go away during the day for two or three nights, but I didn't want to repeat your experience so I tried to ignore them until I couldn't anymore. She was born only an hour or so after every arrived for the delivery and I just remember the whole experience being very peaceful.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I'm guessing July 21st at 2:30am and 8lb. 15 oz. and 21in.
    Hang in there! I know how you feel. I was 2 weeks late with Polly, and 9 days with Lizzy.
    Can't wait to come onto your page and see the baby's name and picture at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay...I'm guessing again...apparently my optimism wasn't catching...ahem. So the new (and improved, of course) prediction is for Wednesday, July 20th at 10pm. And I'm sticking with 8 lb. even. :-)

    Maybe we can talk this Monday during naps and I can talk you into castor oil? Heheh. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm gonna say Saturday, the 23rd at 5:43pm. I'm so mean. At least this way I'm be more than happy to be wrong. ;-)
    Do we get to re-guess the weight, too. Cause I think going this long, he's going to be bigger than my original guess...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure, you can guess the weight too. It's more fun to have lots of realistic guesses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. John says Wednesday, the 20th, at 9:01pm. And 30 seconds. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm guessing that you go into labor within 24 hours of having drinks with me.... so the sooner we go out, the sooner you'll see the baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess 8lb 4oz, and John guesses 8lb 8oz then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will re-guess with Tuesday, the 19th, 9:10am, 8lb 5oz...but hopefully my original guess of today is still right, 'cause I want to meet this little boy SOON! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wednesday, July 20 at 10:30 am. Weight is 8lb 3oz.

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The 22nd... 8lb 7oz...

    I'd say RELAX!!!! You need to be relaxed to have the baby, right? And be rested. I was so glad last time that I'd had good long nights and rest during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll guess the 24th (I know that's not very kind, but then you can have two kids share a birthday :D). 3:33 pm. 8lbs. 2oz
    I'm thinking if you officially go two weeks late you should us the initals of the name. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Daniel guesses the 21st, and 8lb 5oz.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I guess the 20th, and I have no idea the weight, but let's go with 7 lb 12.5 oz :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ummmm....I HOPE you don't hit Kathy's prediction. BUT, I do remember having a conversation with you early on about what could never happen - like the baby sharing a birthday with Esther. Uh. Always be careful what you say will *never* happen in parenting...

    ReplyDelete