Friday, April 29, 2011

A Mrs. Tabitha Twitchit Kind of Day—Mothers in Literature

Mrs. Tabitha Twitchit has three little kittens named Mittens, Moppet, and Tom Kitten who tumble about the doorstep and play in the dust. She is an anxious parent who loses her kittens continually and when they are lost, they are always in mischief!


Sometimes she shuts them up in a cupboard so she can get some baking done. But since the cupboard is not locked, those troublesome little kittens come out and play with the dough that is rising by the fire.


Sometimes she turns them out in the garden so she can get ready for company. "Now keep your frocks clean, children!" she says.


Any mother of little children could have told her how that would turn out.


"What a thing it is to have such an unruly family!" says Mrs. Tabitha Twitchit.

There are days when I feel a lot like Mrs. Tabitha Twitchit. Sometimes it seems that every time I turn my back my impish little children get into some kind of mischief! On those days I'm tempted to turn them outside or shut them up in cupboards. Once I did buckle them into the stroller. We get through periods like that one predicament at a time and I take comfort in knowing that I'm not the only mother who has Tabitha Twitchit days!

No comments:

Post a Comment